Thursday, April 26, 2012

Call For Votes and Book Launch

  I don't usually do a mid-week post but I'm calling you to action to vote for my essay (and possibly any other two you'd like) by May 2. I am one of 15 finalists in the "Our Town Essay Contest" and the judges are requesting votes to determine 3 winners for an Apple Ipad. You can go to yourhometowngrocer.com to read the essays and/or just vote. Mine is also posted Here from my March 26 post.
  What do you look for in an essay? I would say that it is similar to fiction in that you need to feel emotion from the message. Sometimes an essay is meant to spur the reader into action because of this emotion. That's probably number one. I tried to do this through sensory description. I used food and neighborly themes because of the sponser. Essays also need to flow, make sense, and make a point. Hard to do in 200 words. In this case, no rules were specified except the 200 word limit and main topic. When that happens, you never know what to expect, but I'm pleased with the favorable results and hope for your support.
  I also want to get the word out for Josi Kilpack's new book, Daisy. This companion series idea has intrigued me since I learned of it. It would be so fun to write companion books with writer friends. Daisy is the second book with Julie Wright's Olivia already out. Two more will follow. Can't wait to read these. Go to http://thenewportladiesbookclub.blogspot.com/ for more info.
  The Launch party for "Daisy" will be on Saturday, April 28th from 1:00-3:00 at the Fort Union Deseret Book Store in Salt Lake City, Utah. Julie Wright will be there signing copies of "Olivia" as well and we'll have cookies--Rolo Cookies, to be exact. The recipe was featured in Annette Lyon's cookbook "Chocolate Never Faileth" and is also included at the back of "Daisy".

5 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

I voted!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Donna. I appreciate the support.

Josi said...

Thank you for announcing the launch and CONGRATS--you won the contest! Please email me at kilpack@gmail.com with a mailing address. I'll get the "Daisy" fragrance mailed out in the next couple of days.

Unknown said...

So awesome! Thank you, Josi.

Liesel K. Hill said...

Your essay is terrific, Renae! I hope you win!