Monday, May 19, 2014

Book Review & Book Highlight

Wow. Reading Tornado Warning: The Extraordinary Women of Joplin by Tamara Hart Heiner gave me a greater appreciation for the scope of those who endured devastation and loss. Though not exactly a tear-jerker, I traveled the emotional ride with the seven women whose individual experiences during the Joplin tornado are retold in play-by-play fashion. Heiner did an excellent job putting me in the moment with these women and their families and I wanted to keep reading. At times it took a few seconds to remember whose story this section was, but the author gave heading clues for manageable chunks at a time from each story. I don't know a better way she could have done this. I would recommend this nonfiction work to any YA to Adult fiction lover. The stories told will have an impact.

According to Heiner, the book came about "simply because I wanted to help" and the one thing she could do was to write. I asked her how she became connected with these women. She started asking for contacts through Facebook. She says, "Of the many I talked to, only a few ended up willing to tell their story. Of those few, I had to pick stories that were the most unique and would resonate with the most people."

When I learned that Heiner is donating her proceeds for the lifetime of the book to disasters in general and the cause of rebuilding Joplin, I became more excited to share this review. Read a good story, gain a little knowledge, and support a good cause with one purchase! In Heiner's words, "I hope this will be the book that keeps on giving!" From her blog: Proceeds from the book will be donated to Misty's Missions, as long as she is actively raising money for disaster relief, and RebuildJoplin.org. Click the links to find out more about these organizations!
I've previously reviewed a couple of Heiner's other books and recommend this author. To learn more about her, go to tamarahartheiner.com and click on Blog.

I want to give a shout out to my sister-in-laws' incredible non-fiction book. She spent years preparing this unique volume for those who are interested in LDS history, curious about the temple, and/or appreciate a fascinating read. Find out more on https://www.woodruffswitness.com/
 Jennifer Ann Mackley says, "After 15 years, I am pleased to announce the release of Wilford Woodruff's Witness. Wilford Woodruff's Witness chronicles the development of LDS temple doctrine and practices over the course of the nineteenth century. The compelling story is accompanied by more than 120 archival images--some previously unpublished--and is told from Wilford Woodruff's perspective, as preserved in his letters, discourses, and journals."




No comments: