Monday, September 12, 2011

Counting Your Blessings

The word rejection mingled with blessings and heroes into a melting pot I’m calling “Counting your blessings”.

A few weeks ago I heard from my first choice publisher that after five months of consideration, my novel, The Seventh City, didn’t fit their current publishing needs. Official rejection! Maybe I had to tell myself to breathe again, but the world did not stop. I’m telling myself that they have more Book of Mormon fiction than they need rather than that my hard work wasn’t good enough. I still have a “get out of the slush pile free” perk to two more publishers for winning a first chapter contest. Perhaps that is why the world didn’t crash in on me. But, dang it, I know it means more work before resubmitting. *Sigh*.

Looking back, there have been a lot of good things on which to reflect instead of moping over rejection. My writing has improved by leaps and bounds, thanks to a wonderful critique group, fabulous conferences, and persistence. That last one especially is my advice to those who love writing and don’t mind a little hard work. One day we will be published!

Thinking on that fateful day for America ten years ago, where would we be if we didn’t recover from the tragedy that struck? What would be the result of not banding together in unity for renewed love of country and the importance of family? My personal rejection story may be unworthy in comparison, but it is mine. Periods of mourning vary in each instance, but eventually we have to move on. It is the same with writing or anything else we love to pursue. Seek creditable feedback, continue learning the craft, keep at it, and count your blessings!

I’m thankful for the heroes who put their lives on the line, for the dignity of suffering families who recovered, for those who saved others, who cleaned up the damage, who donated money, who prayed, who . . .

5 comments:

Stephanie Black said...

I'm sorry about the rejection. Rejection always stinks, but I'm impressed with your awesome attitude!

Hannah Holt said...

Sympathies. I hope you at least got some good feedback. Crossing my fingers for you with your upcoming submissions.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Stephanie and Hannah. I can always use some of that luck too!

John Waverly said...

Congrats on the rejection. There's something so stagnant about the waiting game. Once the ball is in your court again it means you get to make another play. Send it out to your #2. You can do it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for being a cheer leader, John. Do you play tennis or basketball?