Monday, June 18, 2012

The Men In Our Lives, er Books

In honor of Father's Day, I've got men on my mind. (No stray thoughts here please.) I'll be wrapping up my Book of Mormon fiction soon and want to dive back into my contemporary YA, Perception. This is the first time my MC is in first person and male. I hope I'm getting him right. To do that, I picture what my youngest son or one of his friends would do. It's a bit like Tootsie learning to act like a woman. (Great movie, BTW.) As much as I love my husband, I can't picture an MC patterned after him, yet I might use his male perspective once in a while. This is my one hundredth post and I am dedicating it to the men in my life and men everywhere. It would be great to see a few new male followers on my blog this week. Go ahead. Make my day.
What would we do without male characters?
Here are some fun questions to ponder and a few comments. If one strikes you, I'd love to hear from you. Thank you and cheers to the men in our lives.
1. Are there more stories with a female main character (MC) or a male?
This might depend on what you like to read. Most stories include both but one typically dominates as MC. I've heard that women make up the largest percentage of readers, but then women can relate to both male and female MCs. You men out there, are you the same way?
2. Do you prefer a male or female MC?
3. Why are the male MCs always young and handsome?
Sex appeal is probably #1. Same for hot guys in movies, I guess. That's not to say there aren't other reasons.
4. Are most of the villains male? Why or why not?
The Seventh City has a tall, slender high priest as the villain. His name is Japethihah but my critique group has nicknamed him Jafar (from Aladdin).
5. Who are your favorite male MCs/leads and villains?
Harry Potter holds that likability factor for me and a lot of people.

2 comments:

Liesel K. Hill said...

I think you're right that often there are female leads because readers (and writers, sometimes) are predominantly female. There's also the prevalent feminism of our day that insists on having strong female characters. While there's definitely something to that argument, I find that I enjoy reading well-written male characters more than the female ones. (Granted, this could be precisely because I'm a girl, but that's beside the point.) As for sex appeal, if there's anything I've learned from George R.R. Martin, it's that brains and wittiness in a male character can definitely get the edge on sexiness. His best-written male character is an (self-proclaimed) ugly, deformed dwarf, but this character's difficult physical circumstances have made him sly, witty, and whipper-snapper smart. I LOVE reading about him, even more than about the other, prettier guys in the story. Just sayin. :D Great post, Renae!

Unknown said...

Good points, Liesel. Maybe we enjoy the unusual characters more than the attractive ones. Thanks for the comment.