Monday, April 15, 2013

Writing - It's Tough Stuff

Some days are just hard. That's life and we work through it. 
My critique group fizzled out, I had an expensive dental issue, and I'm on crutches for a knee problem. Without a crit group deadline, I didn't write anything new this week. But I did critique somebody else's project and I count that as writing time. The physical problems are fixable and temporary. I'm choosing to look on the bright side and keep things in perspective because the alternative gets me nowhere but grumpy. Grumpy people are unproductive. How do you deal with it when life hands you a harder time than usual? Writers have to be tough. Are you tough?
Writers spend months or years on their first manuscript only to have it ripped to shreds. Then they spend another chunk of time revising once they see what the alpha readers agreed needed to be fixed. I've heard this gets easier and faster with experience but to get that experience, one has to tough it out. Are you up for it? Did I hear a, "Bring it on!" out there? Good for you!
The thing we need to remember is that not only do we feel a sense of accomplishment when we work toward those goals, we get this shiny, finished package in the end that we created. It's kind of like having a baby. (Feel free to skip that analogy if it doesn't work for you.)
So, what I'm saying here is that there will be days, perhaps weeks, that are hard and you may not accomplish much, but there will always be another chance for a good day around the corner. If you have the passion and drive, keep going! I'm rooting for you.

No comments: