Monday, May 6, 2013

Book Review - Inevitable

Tamara Hart Heiner penned this intriguing YA book where the main character possesses a gift she hates--she Sees the deaths of those around her who have a violent end. Here's the blurb:

Visions of death plague Jayne, who thinks watching her boyfriend and sister die is the worst that could happen to her. But when she witnesses a murder, Jayne finds herself caught up in a dangerous world of intrigue and suspense.

As it turns out, she is not the only one doing the stalking. The killer is on to her, and all of her visions of the dying don't reveal how her life will end. Somehow, she must stop the murderer before he arranges Jayne's own inevitable death.


In this contemporary setting, Jayne is conflicted with the things she Sees and maintaining a normal teenage life. She must choose what to do about her annoying gift. I liked the use of lemon scent and capitalizing verbs about her visions as a way of cluing readers in. I liked the romantic and suspense elements. Much of the writing had me right in the moment, visualizing everything from setting to character actions. The pacing was good. There was only one short spot when I wished for a turn of new events before Heiner gave it to me. I wanted to keep reading throughout. I didn't love the paranormal ending, yet it could satisfy most readers. A fun, clean read.

No comments: