Monday, July 18, 2011

Summer Reading

  Readers seem to find summer a great time to fit in that book they've wanted to read. Maybe school is out and a teen can finally choose something not required. Vacation travel accomodates the urge for something to do in the car, waiting at the airport or laying on that sunny beach. Perhaps it's too hot out to do much more than lounge on the couch with a good book. Whatever the reason, we'll take it!
  There have been several tempting choices for me, but right now the funds are limited and I'm resorting to library and friend lending, so some of my top picks will have to wait. I've enjoyed audio books as well as actual reading, but I've yet to experience the e-book format. I'm currently focusing on Utah authors.
  Here's what I've been reading and what I think about them:
Imprints by Rachele Ann Nunes - Loved the atypical MC and overall story, kept my interest enough to ride through a slight middle sag. I'd recommend it.
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull - Thought I'd see what all the fuss was about even though I'm not big into MG fantasy. I loved it. Not too over-the-top or juvenile. A good story for all ages.
On Second Thought  by Robison Wells - An enjoyable read with some suspense at the end.
Cold As Ice and Methods of Madness  by Stephanie Black - Good suspense stories for my current WIP. I actually liked the latter book a bit more than the former.
Shelter from the Storm #4 by Anita Stansfield - I tried this author years ago and couldn't get into that much romance but thought I'd check this popular author out again. I find myself enjoying it so far, at about half-way through, even without realizing I'd jumped into a series. The musician MC appeals to me. Tastes change, authors switch styles or genres. You just never know.
Double Deceit by Stephanie Humphries - Coming out next month. I am reviewing it and will give my blog review on August 22.
  Tip: Take home several picks from the library at once so you can discard one for another as needed.
  What summer reads are you enjoying?

4 comments:

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

I love Fablehaven as well. I'm reading the second book to my kids right now. I, on the other hand, read the series as they came out, but the kids were too little.

Renae Weight Mackley said...

My grandkids are too little for Fablehaven but some of their parents are reading it. I'll have to get the next ones. Thanks, Shelly.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I've read the Fablehaven series and really enjoyed it. I need to get Stephanie's other books. I lent "Cold As Ice" to a coworker, and she loved it, too.

Betsy Love said...

I loved the Fablehaven series! They were a lot of fun to read. Brandon had a great grasp on well rounded/dynamic characters!