Monday, January 6, 2014

January Writing Goals and A Call For Missionary Stories

What a great way for me to start the new year! Did you see my children's story in the January 2014 issue of the Friend magazine? I couldn't be more pleased with the placement and artwork. Find it online here. It shows the a-ha moment when my then ten-year-old daughter found a family backpacking trip to be just like an event in the scriptures. My personal writing goals for January will focus on more inspirational stories.

In keeping with my inspirational stories line to follow the Bishop Stories book that I'm almost ready to submit, I'm sending out a call for "missionary stories". I'm collecting stories from or about LDS missionaries and converts that show the ups and downs of missionary life with uplifting or inspirational results. Send yours--yep, I know you've got one--to: my.missionary.story@gmail.com  Don't worry about the quality of writing. Just get down the details. These stories will be edited to omit identifying names and give a light polishing. You can also e-mail questions to the above address. How about helping me with my January goals by sending your story to me now while it's on your mind? Or put it on your to-do list. Thanks so much!

New this year: With most posts I'm sharing a new-to-me blog to learn from. You can suggest a site in the comment post. This week I visited http://rjcraddockauthor.blogspot.com/  She shared the importance of not rushing one's first book into self-publication and having more than one editor go over it.
What would you like to see on my blog? Writing tips, personal story experiences, book reviews, guest authors, contests?

3 comments:

kbrebes said...

Excellent, Renae!! So inspirational!

Valerie Ipson said...

I love your story in the friend! So fun and I know how exciting it is, I had a story in the friend several years ago. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Thank you, ladies!