Monday, December 9, 2013

Intellectual Property Copyright Permissions

Putting together a non-fiction book has allowed me to stretch with new experiences. Last week I worked on a new kind of permission needed for Bishop Stories. I'm not talking about a personal story release. I've been dealing with those all along. I need to gain intellectual property permission from the Church to use printed material like scriptures and quotes from general conference talks. I'd been putting off the unfamiliar task. It actually turned out easy enough, though a little time consuming--filling out a form and sending in the manuscript with highlighting markings of whatever was copyrighted. I had to re-look up some of the references so I could add them with the internet URL. The form was linked to the author submissions guidelines, making it easy to find. Interesting stuff. I never realized how many LDS non-fiction books must have sought permission.

This week's focus will be finalizing Bishop Stories permissions and finishing a book tour read for next week's review. And I'm certain some Christmas happenings will weave their way into the timeline. It's a tricky time of year to stay motivated. Keep up your good efforts, wherever they lead you. More often than not, those tasks we put off are usually quite manageable. Have a great week!

3 comments:

Canda said...

Interesting--I wondered how that was all handled.

Renae Weight Mackley said...

We usually don't think about it until we need it. I'm glad there are lots of helps out there (links, people to ask) that make new things easier. Thanks, Canda.

Lisa Swinton said...

I only knew about that because of Danyelle's book. Good luck!