Friday, February 19, 2016

Week of Book Love CONTEST - Day 5

Slingshot like unto Ammon's
It's day 5 of the CONTEST celebrating my upcoming debut book, Secrets of the King's Daughter. "Secrets" is scripture-based historical romance fiction. The main character, Princess Karlinah, is briefly mentioned in the Book of Mormon as a marriageable-aged daughter of King Lamoni (Alma 17: 24). There was a lot of creative license taken to build a character from so little information. However, I used the timeline and information given in several scripture chapters to base some story events. For example, how could I include Ammon as a character and not show the popular scene of him protecting the king's sheep with his slingshot and sword? In fact, you will find a Scriptures Referenced index in the back of my book.

I believe that readers will find the book engaging at any level of scriptural interest. One can simply read it through or find that spark to search the references as desired--something for everyone. I wrote a blog post about finding that middle ground between scripture purists and pure fiction lovers. For today's comment, leave your personal opinion about whether or not you think you would use the reference list: none, a little, or a lot.

CONTEST RULES: Each day February 15-20 you will have the opportunity to learn something new about my book and enter to win a signed copy. Simply visit and "Like" my Author Facebook Page and leave a comment there or on my blog that answers the question of the day. Sharing this post is optional but appreciated. One comment per question will go into the drawing for the prize. That's a total of six opportunities to enter to win!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Yes, I would use the reference list. It would be fun to connect your story to exactly what's in the scriptures and the citation would make that comparison a lot easier and save searching time.